Pages

Sunday, February 26, 2012

Reel Seats

When I started to build bamboo rods I was interested in building rods and making/using tools that would speed up the process. I have built many tools but I only use a few that are under power. that is the case with reel seats. I really like the look of a good reel seat wood spacer. So I built a little router table that would allow me to cut the mortise and it turned out pretty nice. During my latest build I have been trying new things. I have made a Trihex shaped rod and used bamboo for the ferrule. I wanted to make a reel seat and cut the mortise by hand. I have lots of wood that I could have used but I saw in one of my boxes a rough cut piece of Mahogany that I had turned at Pa's house last summer. I put it in the vice and got out the file and started to file away. About 30 minutes later I had a pile of sawdust and one of the nicest reel seats I have a made. I don't know if I will make a reel seat spacer again that is not morticed by hand.



1 comment:

Kris said...

That turned out so good babe!