Pages

Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Apple Pies and Pinewood Derbies

This last week we had an Elders Quorum activity. It was a pie baking contest and pinewood derby. I had a School bus that I built last summer for our work pinewood derby and I raced it. I didnt place but had a great time and saw some cool cars. One guy had a block of pine with an electric airplane turbine engine on it. He didn't have a problem winning. The other half of the night was the pies. I love pie more than cake so I was there and ready to sample some good pie! I decided to make an apple pie. I didn't want an ordinary apple pie... I wanted to make it harder. I made my pie in a regular pie pan but baked it in my dutch oven. I did a practice run last Sunday and got great reviews from family. On the day of the activity I didn't have time to do it in the dutch oven so I just made the same recipe in the regular oven and took it. It was still good but I didnt win any prizes. I had a lot of fun and it was neat to use My Nana's crust recipe and my sisters wonderfully scrumptious filling and topping recipe. If you want them you will have to ask Maegan because I think it is a secret that shouldn't get out too much in case of another activity when I have enough time to carry out my master plan and bake it in the dutch oven again.I dont have a picture of the Bus but here are some before and after pictures of my Pies. On a side note I wont be making any apple pies soon. We have had 2 in less than a week so we are apple pied out.
Before
AfterMe and My Pie

3 comments:

Andy said...

That pie was reeeeeealy good, Ben! Thanks for sharing with us.

Kris said...

I don't know...I think I could go for some more pie right now. Yumo.

Maegan said...

bummer you didn't get to do it in the dutch oven...oh well. i guess you'll have to do it for us WHEN WE COME!!!