Pages

Sunday, November 29, 2009

More Flies

I decided tonight that I am going to tie flies for a friend of mine for Christmas. It gets me tying more and it is a "Free" gift. I tied up three different patterns tonight. I started with the leech pattern. Yup, they are just as ugly as an artificial fly as they are in real life. I liked this particular version though because I found some cool curved hooks in my fly tying stuff from when I took fly tying in college. The next pattern was the dreaded Elk Hair Caddis. I hate this fly because if you don't have the right diameter elk hair your wing is either WAY too big or you don't put enough hair in so it looks skimpy. Anyway here is the fly. The last pattern was what some people call "The hardest dry fly to tie". I don't really think that they are that hard they just take a long time (about 10 minutes each). This is a Humpy pattern. It is supposed to mimic ants, beetles, stone flies, and other insects. Tonight I added a variation that I saw while perusing in Fly Fisherman magazine at the grocery store. I added rubber legs. This variation will mimic spiders and other larger beetles. Here is a picture of a fish I caught on one last summer. Like I said, it takes a while to tie but they are worth it!

1 comment:

Nick said...

Ben, love the flies. Gets me in the tying spirit. I really like your new variation to the Humpy. I am going to have to work on that myself. Too bad we cant fish when we are in Utah this month..... hey wait a minute, not such a bad idea. Winter fishing on the Provo has to be better than not fishing on the Provo right? Think about it.